"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
Robert Louis Stevenson




Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Spring Cleaning and Rocking Chairs


My day yesterday: I Need A Rocking Chair and Some Ice Tea, Please

I stepped outside around 9:30 in the morning to pick some Swiss chard and do a little cleaning up around the raised beds to get ready for my tomato plants. I still have about 2 weeks before I will set out the seedlings, but I needed to get the compost mixed in to let it rest and get the worms settled in their new home.

I wasn't going to do the whole compost pile but as usual I get sidetracked and end up spending the day outside. Oh my gosh I am so tired. I turned the compost pile, which is about 4 1/2 feet tall and about 3 feet across. I also used a sieve to run the compost through to remove any large pieces of twigs and such before I put it in the beds. If you have never done this before it is like using a hula hoop for two hours except you just go back and forth and not around.

I raked up two piles of leaves that Tony had left from cleaning up around the trees on Saturday, but the compost was too full then to add more so he left it sitting. I needed to empty the bin before adding the new clippings, leaves and such. I had just pulled up all the old pepper plants, some kale and swiss chard that aphids had got to earlier and my brussel sprouts; I tossed them in the new bin.  I tossed in a few bags of manure to heat up the new additions and  sat down to eat some oranges. I was too tired to head to the house for a drink of water, which I forgot to bring with me since I had not planned on spending the whole afternoon in the garden.

A lot of work!!!

My arms still feel like I am swishing compost back and forth. My thighs are sore from using the pitch fork and from hauling the compost to the beds.
I am ready for the rocking chair and some ice tea!

6 comments:

  1. A job well done! You deserve that chair and tea. :) Yard work is no joke...lots of work, but worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rewarding to see what you have done at days end.

      Delete
  2. But don't you feel really good with all of that work behind you now. I love the picture--suitable for framing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel good and I know my garden will be better off with all the compost I put in it. Thank you for the compliment. Every now and then I take a good picture! This is one of my favorites, the lighting was just perfect in the afternoon.

      Thanks for stopping by Ann.

      Delete
  3. Your day of compost turning sounds lovely. The tiredness you get from gardening is just the best kind isn't it!

    Carla, thank you for entering the calendula giveaway, I'm going to send you some seeds, can you send me your postal address please? I'm at lyndseyhaskell@hotmail.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your day of compost turning sounds lovely. The tiredness you get from gardening is just the best kind, isn't it?

    Carla, thank you for entering the calendula giveaway over on my blog, I'm going to send you some seeds.
    Could you send your postal address to me at lyndseyhaskell@hotmail.com please?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog, I love hearing from you, stay as long as you like, Carla