"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
Robert Louis Stevenson




Monday, February 25, 2013

The Tile Is In! Kitchen Update.



It took two days to complete the job. Photo above shows the cuts for the accent tiles.


Accent tiles in and Jobe is working on the perimeter, measuring, cutting and setting; that took a long time to complete.  He and his cousin Mark, really did a nice job.  They installed a total of 246 sq ft of 6.5 x 6.5 inch tile.  It took approximately 900 tiles for this area. I still have 18 boxes (30 per) of tile left over.  I may do our master bedroom (Mexican Patio) patio with the rest.  Of course I need to keep some for repairs that may come up over the years.


All grouted and sealed, this was done last Monday.  I absolutely love my new floor, and the way the kitchen is coming together.


I also had new quarter-round trim put along the base of the cabinets and new baseboards around the walls.


Pippy on the rug, back in her favorite spot by the glass door. She spent a lot of time under the bed the last few weeks; not wanting to make an appearance with all the noise, people and power tools.


Close up of one of the accent tiles.


Here are a few more ideas I am thinking about.  I like the idea of open shelves along the one wall that my china hutch is now on, but I also like the cabinet with all the drawers. It wood be nice to have something similar.  I have always liked the European style kitchens that have furniture included with the cabinets. Also the lack of overhead cabinets appeals to me.  I do have some overhead cabinets in my kitchen, but only on the one wall.

This calls for a flea market, estate sale and antique mall excursion!


This photo shows a couple of window treatments I like.  Also look at the cool pot rack made out of copper pipes and fittings.  I have the empty wall above the (green) cabinet and the dishwasher area that a rack like this would look and work great in.

Now we wait for the granite countertop. I still don't have a confirmed install date. Hopefully sometime later this week, I was told 10-14 business days and that would put us at Thursday.


Cookie Crumble back in her favorite chair.  Cookie can not tolerate any visitors to her house and spent the time under the bed with Pippy. The only time they spend together is when they are frightened or if strangers are in the house, that includes friends of mine!  After all these years they are still not the best of friends.  Cookie, even though she is half the size of Pippy, dominates her and is the Matriarch of the two.

5 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous Carla! The accents are such a nice touch also. Wish we had carried the tile into our kitchen. It ends by the garage entry hallway and guest bathroom where the hardwood floors begin. Regrets are costly and hardwood floors in the kitchen was definitely one I must live with.

    Enjoy your beautiful new floor!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so glad you said that. I had thought about wood floors in the kitchen but had decided (a few years back) to go with the tile.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. The floor is gorgeous. Are you pinching yourself? You still have more to do, and it is all so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the name of the tile you used and where can I get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, the tile is from Daltile. I had this tile in the garage for about 6 to 8 years. It is called Borghi Antichi Bruno and is 6.5 x 6.5 inches square.

      I don't think it is available any longer, but this link is similar to what we have.
      http://products.daltile.com/series.cfm?series=52

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog, I love hearing from you, stay as long as you like, Carla