"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
Robert Louis Stevenson




Friday, December 12, 2014

Winter Garden Update 2014 December

My community garden plot is growing! After that first rain, everything really took off.  This group of photos was taken on Dec 8.  Today we are getting that Pineapple Express rain storm that you may have heard about on the news.  I know when I go to check on the garden tomorrow I will no doubt, see muddy plants.  The rain has been really coming down, I don't think it has let up since it started early this morning.  I am so grateful that we are finally getting significant rainfall.

On to the photos!

Garlic in foreground, then Russian Red Kale, and Lacinato Kale


Ruby Red Swiss Chard


Sorrel and Michihili a Chinese Cabbage


More Chinese Cabbage


Snow Peas


Purple Cauliflower


Tatsoi


Lacinato Kale and green onions


This bed has Green Chard, Beets, Kalette's, Turnips and Kholrabi


Rouge de Hiver a romaine lettuce


Buttercrunch and Arugula


more Arugula, Oak Leaf Lettuce, and hit and miss of Mesclum mixed.




Radishes, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli Raab and lettuces in background




8 comments:

  1. Oh I am so envious! Your garden looks so beautiful. I love it. Thanks for giving me some green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie. I feel lucky so far, only one gopher to deal with and we got that one before it took all the lettuce patch out. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I see great salads on your Christmas dinner table! We have heard about the rains and I wondered if you were getting any. Of course all see are the horrible mud slides and folks displaced who have lost their homes. Feel so awful for them. We will get our protion of the Express tomorrow in the form of very cold and some snow, so says the weather person. Thank you Hawaii. The garden looks marvelous. Merry Christmas, Carla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, so far no mudslides for us. There may be more of that going on closer to the coast or in San Diego area. We still had a few showers early this morning, but now the sun is breaking through the clouds so it looks like a great day ahead. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

      Delete
  3. I am so impressed with your bounty. Everything looks so healthy.
    Can you let us know where you get the seeds for the greens such as the Lucinto and chard and any of your favorite lettuces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Van, I use Botanical Interest Seeds. I have a link on my blog, looked to the right side of the screen or click https://botanicalinterests.com/products/view/0151/Kale-Italian-Lacinato-Nero-Toscana-HEIRLOOM-Seeds/srch:kale. I also use their site for lettuces. Such as Rouge de Hiver, Buttercrunch, Speckles, Marvel of Four Seasons. Click for a list https://botanicalinterests.com/products/index/category:vegetables/filter:73

      Delete
  4. Just was stopping by to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2015, Carla! xo P.S. everything looks very lush and not too soggy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy and a very Merry Christmas to you and the HH!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog, I love hearing from you, stay as long as you like, Carla