"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
Robert Louis Stevenson




Sunday, July 5, 2015

Todays Harvest


Japanese Eggplant and Tomatoes

The recent rains have nourished my little garden plot, so much so that I picked more eggplant than I have in recent years.  Lots of goodies coming in now.  We are grateful!

The last of the lettuce for now

Curly Kale and a couple of Bell Peppers

Cocozelle Zucchini and Early Prolific Straight-neck Yellow, plus a few Hot Peppers

Roma Tomato called Health Kick and a few San Diego Tomatoes

Mix of San Marzano, Health Kick and a few Yellow Gold Cherry Tomatoes

Jalapeno Peppers
Monday I will be making Jalapeno Peach Jam, a Zucchini Lasagna and Roasting Eggplants!
Busy, Busy,Busy



  Here sleeps the sun long, idle summer hours;
Here butterflies and bees fare far to rove
    Amid the crumpled leaves of poppy flowers;
Here four o’clocks, to the passionate night above
    Fling whiffs of perfume, like pale incense showers.
    A little garden, loved with a great love! 

-Excerpt from The Little Garden by Amy Lowell (1912)


8 comments:

  1. Carla, that's a fantastic harvest! I love the cocozelle squash with the pretty striping. Gives it a little visual zing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George, we love the flavor of cocozelle and it is a workhorse in the garden.

      Delete
  2. So glad that you had rain. Today will be very cool here. Can you believe in the 60s? Great harvest you have. Our garden is still playing catch up having been planted so late. I am interested in how your roast eggg plant and the serve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, sorry for the long delay in responding. I slice the eggplant lengthwise and coat with a generous amount of olive oil, place cut-side down on a sheet pan with more oil and then roast at 400 degrees for anywhere from 25-40 minutes depending on the size of the eggplant. Remove them when rich brown on the cut side. I sometimes serve them just like this with some minced garlic, salt and toasted french or italian bread. Also these are really good topped with a good tomato sauce, even jarred sauce and then some sort of pasta along side.

      Delete
  3. Hi Carla; your 2015 summer garden looks glorious with lots of goodies. Hope you are well. Don't you blog anymore, or are you on a world tour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Titania! I haven't posted to my blog is such a long time, but I am still gardening and need to get back to blogging again. I miss all my old friends here. It was a hectic year and I did do some traveling; went to Zion National Park, the Pacific Northwest and then a few days in Chicago Illinois. This year I hope to go to a few more National Parks and maybe Nova Scotia if the money allows. I promise to come by your blog and post soon. Thank you so much for checking in on me! Carla

      Delete
  4. Carla, I am glad your are fine. Time flies and there is always so much to do! Happy and save travels.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog, I love hearing from you, stay as long as you like, Carla