"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
Robert Louis Stevenson




Monday, June 14, 2010

Owlet Update, 3 Owls in the Tree

I finally was able to get a few good pictures of the 3 Owlets. I hope you can see them. There is one on its own in a bunch of pinecones and then two are together in one photo. Enjoy!

Look how sweet he is with his head turned sideways. 

Can you see him?  This is the smaller one.

This picture was taken the first night they arrived in March 2010.  This shows the two of the three owlets and one parent.


Parent on lower branch with two owlets over to the top right

6 comments:

  1. Each morning I go out to find them. Lucky I have binoculars! I just saw two when I went out to check on them this morning, but I know the other one is there, just hiding. Last night there was a lot of vocalizing when the parents came back to feed them. The screech was so loud it almost sounded like a child. For a moment I had forgot that it was an owl and went out back to check. Of course it was one of the parents flying by the tree. We feel so fortunate to be a part of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! I have never been lucky enough to see owlets. I hear them sometimes at night, but to see one up close would be great. Thanks for posting such great pics. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla, the owls must like your garden. It is beautiful to watch them. I had a look at your previous posts. A bounty of healthy vegetables and the tomatoes are reaching for the sky!
    Great garden, happy days. I sometimes make scented sugar. A favourite is cut very finely fresh mint leaves and mix well, press into the sugar and sprinkle over fresh pineapple chunks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Titania, I just love to hear them at night when they are either being fed or maybe the parents come back to teach them hunting skills. At least that is what I like to think.

    The tomatoes are huge. I picked my first red one yesterday along with one of the yellow banana. It is an heiloom called Banana Legs and the red one was Estiva a new hybrid from France. It has nice medium size friut and the plant has large leaves that seem to protect the fruit from our hot sun.

    I will try your recipe for the mint sugar, that sounds so refreshing with the pineapple.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog, I love hearing from you, stay as long as you like, Carla