"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
Robert Louis Stevenson




Saturday, September 1, 2012

An August Midnight by Thomas Hardy




An August Midnight

A shaded lamp and a waving blind, 


And the beat of a clock from a distant floor:


On this scene enter--winged, horned, and spined - 


A longlegs, a moth, and a dumbledore; 


While 'mid my page there idly stands 


A sleepy fly, that rubs its hands . . .




Thus meet we five, in this still place, 

At this point of time, at this point in space.


- My guests parade my new-penned ink, 


Or bang at the lamp-glass, whirl, and sink.


"God's humblest, they!" I muse. Yet why? 


They know Earth-secrets that know not I.

by Thomas Hardy


Farewell Sweet August

4 comments:

  1. is the owl photo yours ? i seen a owl setting on the side of a old country road ,but saddly i didnt have my camea with me . he fly away when i drove closer :( .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had 5 owls in our pine tree, but this photo was taken a couple of years ago. We were lucky to get these photos. My neighbor came over and took the pics for me since he had a much better lens on his than I had.

      Delete
  2. Lovely images to go with such timeless words. Must admit to anticipating Fall weather. With our travels this summer & no garden to speak of have been reading Elizabeth Von Arnim' Elizabeth & Her German Garden to satisfy the senses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must check that out. I have not read that one yet.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog, I love hearing from you, stay as long as you like, Carla