"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
Robert Louis Stevenson




Friday, April 5, 2013

Mockingbird Nest




I happened upon this nest yesterday when I was walking to the Mexican patio.  I think it is the Mockingbirds since they tend to make their nests quickly and often times not taking into account what may be in store for them, leaving it open to the sky.  This nest sits at the top of the arbor that supports the Bougainvillea just off the patio.  The plant is not fully covering the arbor since I pruned it early in February.  I was surprised to see that they would build this nest so close to the opening and also it is very close to the eves of the house, leaving it open to whatever might run across the top of the roof.


When I went out this morning and happened to walk along the pathway just under this arbor, I saw fragments of egg shells and these two spots on this stepping stone.  How sad that they lost two precious eggs to whatever found this nest overnight. 

Interesting facts on Mockingbirds. (click the link)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog, I love hearing from you, stay as long as you like, Carla