"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
Robert Louis Stevenson




Sunday, April 7, 2013

They're Back! The Male and Female Orioles Early Morning Bath and a Few Other Visitors to the Pool

Male Hooded Oriole
 This little guy had just finished taking an early morning dip in the birdbath.  I was inside by the kitchen window when I saw him bathing, but by the time I got the camera out he was already in the small apple tree, grooming and drying himself.  I also spotted a female while zooming in to get these photos.  As you know it can be difficult to photograph these birds as they are easily startled by humans with cameras!  Thank goodness my new camera has a good zoom lens.  I took these through the window (double pane) and also about 25 feet from the tree.  Yellow Hooded Oriole





Our Oleander hedge grows into this small apple tree, that's the pointed leaves you see in the bottom, right corner.
Female looking at me


Shy Female
I knew they were back a few weeks ago as I heard their familiar chatter in the trees.  This was the first time I saw both the male and female together.  I will cut some oranges and hook them on the tree for them to drink the nectar.  They love oranges!


The every present Mockingbird, keeping watch while the others bathe.




One of a pair of Morning Doves stopped by for a dip...

Warbler ???


A little ruffled after his bath and drying off in the Aloe arborescens (also known as candelabra aloe) plant.






Maybe not as rare, but always welcome in our yard, White-crowned Sparrow.


They enjoy the grass seed-heads; one good reason not to worry if the weeding gets done or not.


Going in for the seed.

2 comments:

  1. Your birds are beautiful! I love how you've managed to capture such great pictures. We're waiting for our orioles still, but we're in for a snow storm tonight, so I'm glad they're still vacationing. :-) Thanks for following, by the way!

    ~Brittany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittany, I think this is the worst winters for the East that I have seen in a long time. I sure hope the spring thaw comes soon and the Orioles return.

      Love your blog, by the way.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog, I love hearing from you, stay as long as you like, Carla